Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Resolutions?

I only have one for 2007: I'm going to get in shape with a complete body overhaul.

Seriously, folks, I have to lose some serious weight. At 2006's end, I weigh 220 lbs. Since my goal is to live to see the day when it's George Bush's legacy to be universally acknowledged as the worst president in American history, this resolution has to receive the highest priority.

To that end, I pledge to myself (and George Bush) that I will lose thirty pounds in 2007 (net). I recognize this will involve:
  1. Spending fewer hours on the internet and more with my love
  2. Drinking fewer Coronas and more water
  3. Spending more hours on the rowing machine, stationary bike and walking Redoct
I anticipate a consequence of this effort will be a reduced frequency in posts. I therefore ask my readers for support in my attaining this goal and understanding that I'm not slacking in my passion for the restoration of American greatness.

16 Moderated Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vigilante--if it ain't broke, don't fix it, baby! ;)

1/01/2007 08:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came back to check my "wisdom" filled comment. :) IT'S NOT HERE!!:( I'll give another try.

I pull for you, my gorgeous dough boy, but may I give you a little advice before you do anything!

Try to remember that this business of sheding fatty pounds is nowhere near the complexity of the rocket science. When you want to lose, you must eat less than you can burn and when you want to maintain, you must burn what you eat. We tend to crossly over eat and it takes some time to get used to smaller portions. Teach your fat belly and your brain accepting less by not going to a crash diet but ease off little by little. Like taming a lion, if you will. This way your "diet" doesn't become untolerable. It is amazing how much less is OK once you get used to it.

It took decades to cumulate your fat, so, don't rush to get rid of it as fast as you can. It's not healthy and it's propably unsustainable that way. Jojo dieting, which pretty well is the consequence of the unnecessary rush, is a fab that I wish you having no part of.

Set yourself comfortable goals, thus making sure that you will stick with your regime. This is for a long term not for a flash in a pan.

More important than anything that I can think of is, that you try to incorporate your "excercise" into your normal daily living. Thus, the walking is the easiest to keep up and if you haven't done it a lot lately, the results will be quarnteed. It will also thighten your butt the way that your wife or any other lucky gall can't keep their hot little paws off.

Avoid your car like plaque and climb up the stairs when and where ever you can. This doesn't sound like a lot but the calories you'll burn in a year's time is huge.

With power training, you should keep a cool head too. Too much and too soon accomplishes two things; you get injured and you will not like it after a while. I know this and I had a shoulder surgery to prove it.

My strong emphasis is on a slow process because it's the one that works. I started mine already about 25 years ago and I still look like a Greek god. :)

1/01/2007 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vigilante, Best New Year's wishes!

Our parallel journeys remain remarkably similar... and I have good news!! I've lost almost 15 pounds in my quest to lose about 25!! If I can do it, I know you can.

As to your goal: "...my goal is to live to see the day when it's George Bush's legacy to be universally acknowledged as the worst president in American history," I don't want to see you to die prematurely. Bush is already nearly universally regarded as the worst president.

On the other hand, with this goal you might just live forever!

I genuinely believe history will be very kind to George Bush.

One only needs to watch the funeral today for Gerald Ford to see the strange pathways that history follows....

the Wizard.......

1/02/2007 08:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vigil,
I also want to get back into shape. Before the summer started I was running 3 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill at the gym at least 3 times a week and felt on top of the world. With the chaos of the summer and everything going on I'm lucky to get in at least once a week now. Because of that my weight has gone from 225 to 242. With my build I don't look like I've put on much but I sure can feel it in my lower energy level chasing my kids.

1/02/2007 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

E., Deferred maintenance works well, I have found, on automobiles, houses, boats. I might not be broken yet, but I feel myself breaking down. Self-repair is an urgent matter.

Congratulations, BTW, on being linked-up by Wonkette! At last I have a celebrated reader who's a real player!

1/02/2007 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

Thanks to my friends, Beach, Pekka, and Wizard. I might well make it with your wind at my back. The benefits of friendship, solidarity, and support cannot be over-estimated. Pekka, your wise counsel appears to have been written by my very loyal, loving and supportive trophy wife.

But, needless to say, attaining my goal hangs on me.

1/02/2007 09:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good sensible advice Pekka. I also still look a bit like a Greek god , Apollo perhaps, and that is the result of sensible exercise , and eating right.
Ha Ha.
Pekka your comment could be printed , and handed out to every American. It cuts right through the bullshit, and tells it the way it actually is.
Calories in , calories out.

1/02/2007 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Sapo said...

Go slow, don't do any fad diets, be sensible about it. Good luck!

1/02/2007 05:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Dr. Phil advises a specific goal, time line, and "accountability" but not with your honey on weight issues!! Having a friend to check in with is motivation without having your loved one counting calories for you.

I'm also trying to eat healthy and keep the snacks and carbs out of my kitchen--keeping only dark chocolate that doesn't thrill me! Dr. Weil (aging gracefully) and Dr. Perricone (vanity) talk about how inflamation is a big bad deal which is the result of sugars and carbs--so I try to eat protein first to offset the "sugar shock" to my body. But I'm WAY over on carbs this past year...and too few salads.

You might want to start a private blog for your journey, too. I have one on emotional growth and it really motivates me and helps me see progress in my behavior--you've inspired me to think about starting one for food.

1/04/2007 11:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Dr. Phil talks about replacing negative behaviors with positive ones--so now I'm fixing a cup of tea and eating fruit instead of eating cookies, etc.

1/04/2007 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Stella by Starlight said...

My new year's resolution is follow Pekka's and MD's advice. Fad diets never work: we're all different.

Urbanpink, the TYPE of carbs are important. (Fruit can cause sugar shock, too.) Stay away from the white carbs (white bread, sugar) and make sure to eat whole grains, some fruit, and beans. The brain functions 100% on carbs. If you eat "good carbs," you're doing great. Besides, if no carbs stops your brain function, how can you blog?

My goal? I've been a gym rat for seven years. I just want to bench press 135 and maybe take Krav Maga.

1/10/2007 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

210.4 LBS! (And not holding!)

2/15/2007 08:55:00 PM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

Shit. 214.2!

2/26/2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

Double shit: 219.6

4/01/2007 06:57:00 AM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

219.5

4/03/2007 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

221.8
221.2

8/01/2007 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home