R.I.P., Red October
A.K.A. Brandeis, Diceman, Bando, Redoct, B-Dawg, Bandokins, Mr. Dawg, Special Dog, Alpha Dog, Marine.
This guy was a Dawg among dogs. In his day, he:
- Dominated different off-the-leash parks like a congenial and gentle bouncer in his immaculate, three-piece suit which no quadruped or biped would dare sniff or touch without permission.
- Made the Brown Trout Doberman Pinscher calendar three times in four years.
- demonstrated Frisbee and tennis virtuosity with breath-taking hang-times and over-the-shoulder catches.
- Learned how to swim and surf at the age of seven so that predatory Labradors could no longer steal his Frisbees or sticks.
- Serially killed intruders (no cats!) in home and yard, recording a two-digit body-count.
- Risked his life foolishly pursuing coyotes and Snowy Plovers for hours.
- Always welcomed grandchildren (6!) as a host, playmate and protector.
- Never lost a family wrestling match or game of 'lap-nip'.
- Maintained a perfect record as a watch-dog for one and a third decades, barking only at barkable offenses.
- Learned how to walk the neighborhood without no stinkin' leash. (the most reliable early morning, crack-of-dawn blogger in the neighborhood).
- Served as extra, living, and breathing bed-warmer and blanket in winters.
- Exhibited perfect table manners - always walking through the house after a meal to find and thank the cook.
- Enthusiastically washed dishes 24-7 (never drying!).
- Loved, parks, hills, forests, beaches and car rides - even if they were just for errands - to the very end.